A Year in Service



Monday will be the first anniversary of my ordination to the Diaconate.  The year has been full of great experiences, growth in my spiritual life and service to the Church. 

Some of the greatest experiences actually came in the first week after ordination.  Karen and I made a pilgrimage to the Holy Land with the Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre. I could not believe that within one week of ordination, I was the Deacon of the Word for Mass at the Holy Sepulchre and in Christ's Tomb during the Liturgy of the Eucharist.  Being in that space was a gift I will never forget.

Ordination also brought me to a group devoted to the Blessed Mother.  Each week we recite a scriptural rosary in the prescence of the Blessed Sacrament.  It has become a blessing because my prayer life has improved and the fellowship is something that I needed. 

The first year also brings a search to find your way.  Although I am very active in the life of the Church, there is a deep desire to find your place; that ministry which captures your heart and leads others to Christ.  I pray for wisdom and patience.

The day of the anniversary will be spent at the funeral Mass for a wonderful woman and friend who passed from this life way too early.  At 50, she was much too young and one of the most kind and gentle souls you would ever have the pleasure to know.  She leaves behind a wonderful husband and a two year old daughter.  I thank God for the privilege of her presence in my life.  It seems proper that this is where I will be one year later; celebrating the life of this wonderful woman and doing what I can to comfort the family.

Comments

Popular Posts