Feast Day of Our Lady of Perpetual Help

Have you ever felt that you were being followed? That everywhere you turned, you saw someone that you recognized or thought you should know? That is how I feel about the Icon of Our Lady of Perpetual Help. It began soon after I was accepted as an aspirant in the Diaconal Formation Program in the Archdiocese of Atlanta. I was in my parish church during adoration and I was struggling about whether I should enter the program. As I was leaving I saw the icon on a side table and was attracted to its beauty. Over the past 4.5 years, She has been seen during important times in my spiritual journey. The most astounding was when we were in Rome, Italy. We were walking between St John Lateran and St Mary Major. During the walk, we saw a modest church. My wife and I decided to sneak in because we had learned over the years that beautiful things can be found in the most obscure places. And there She was; the original icon.

Seeing the icon gives me comfort. She is not only the mother of Christ but also our spiritual mother. She is there to pray for us and give us comfort. She shows us the way to true discipleship; She is our example. As she cared for her own son, she also cares for us. That act of love leads us to care for others.

Novena of Our Lady of Perpetual Help

Oh Mother of Perpetual Help, grant that I may ever invoke your powerful name, the protection of the living and the salvation of the dying. Purest Mary, let your name henceforth be ever on my lips. Delay not, Blessed Lady, to rescue me whenever I call on you. In my temptations, in my needs, I will never cease to call on you, ever repeating your sacred name, Mary, Mary. What a consolation, what sweetness, what confidence fills my soul when I utter your sacred name or even only think of you! I thank the Lord for having given you so sweet, so powerful, so lovely a name. But I will not be content with merely uttering your name. Let my love for you prompt me ever to hail you Mother of Perpetual Help. Mother of Perpetual Help, pray for me and grant me the favor I confidently ask of you.
(Then say three Hail Marys).

Comments

  1. Really love this one Mark! Enjoying catching up on your blog. Seems to always be just the right thing at right time that I need to read about. Hope Germany is fabulous. Give my sister a hug for me, can't wait to see you all in a couple weeks! :)
    love, Nancy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts