- Remember, remember the Fifth of November,
- The Gunpowder Treason and Plot,
- I know of no reason
- Why the Gunpowder Treason
- Should ever be forgot.
- Guy Fawkes, Guy Fawkes, 'twas his intent
- To blow up the King and Parli'ment.
- Three-score barrels of powder below
- To prove old England's overthrow;
- By God's providence [or By God's mercy] he was catch'd
- With a dark lantern and burning match.
- Hulloa boys, Hulloa boys, let the bells ring.
- Hulloa boys, hulloa boys, God save the King!
Today is the anniversary of the Gunpowder Plot where Guy Fawkes and several conspirators attempted to blow up Parliament, with King James inside. Guy Fawkes is considered by many to be the only person to ever enter Parliament with honest intentions.
On the serious side, this is a time to remember that politics and religion do not tend to mix very well.