The Trial of St Lawrence: Vatican Museum
Today is the feast day of St Lawrence of Rome. He was martyred in August 258 three days after Pope Sixtus II. He was a deacon of the Church and was responsible for the treasury as well as the care of the poor. He was arrested, placed on trial and condemned to death. Legend has it that he was placed on a gridiron and burned over a fire. Emperor Constantine built a Church over his grave which is now one of the great Basilicas in Rome. Over the years, relics of St Stephen and St Justin Martyr were brought to the church as well.
As a candidate in the diaconate, St Lawrence is certainly one of the saints to model ones life after. He defended his church and was commited to the care of the poor.
- You called Saint Lawrence to serve you by love
- and crowned his life with glorious martyrdom.
- Help us to be like him in loving you and doing your work.
- Grant this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son,
- who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,
- one God, for ever and ever.