Great Video on the Priesthood
Tuesday, October 26, 2010
It is an exciting time for the Church. The resurgence of the religious orders in this country is truly a blessing and an example of "God in our Midst". Take a look at the video below, which is an example of what is happening in this country. To see the average age of an order to be 28. To see young, vibrant and happy young women living the life of a nun and serving the Church. This is exactly the witness this country needs to see in order to cast off the social experiments of the 1950s, 60s, and 70s and return to a world where ones own self gratification is NOT an end in itself. Serving God and one another is where true happiness lies.
Monday, October 25, 2010
I had to re-post this from one of my favorite blogs (Canterbury Tales)
Top Ten Quotes from Saint Teresa of Avila, Saint and Doctor of the Catholic Church:
- “Patience attains All that it strives for. He who has God Finds he lacks nothing: God alone suffices.”
- “It is love alone that gives worth to all things”
- “Accustom yourself continually to make many acts of love, for they enkindle and melt the soul.”
- “Pain is never permanent.”
- “To have courage for whatever comes in life - everything lies in that.”
- “What a great favor God does to those He places in the company of good people!”
- “More tears are shed over answered prayers than unanswered ones.”
- “It is true that we cannot be free from sin, but at least let our sins not be always the same.”
- (said of God): "If this is the way you treat your friends, it's no wonder you have so few!”
- “Let nothing disturb thee, nothing affright thee; all things are passing; God never changeth.
Thursday, October 21, 2010
Tuesday, October 19, 2010
Thursday, October 14, 2010
And then, little by little, there came back to me my former memories of thy handmaid: her devout life toward thee, her holy tenderness and attentiveness toward us, which had suddenly been taken away from me--and it was a solace for me to weep in thy sight, for her and for myself, about her and about myself. Thus I set free the tears which before I repressed, that they might flow at will, spreading them out as a pillow beneath my heart. And it rested on them, for thy ears were near me--not those of a man, who would have made a scornful comment about my weeping. But now in writing I confess it to thee, O Lord! Read it who will, and comment how he will, and if he finds me to have sinned in weeping for my mother for part of an hour--that mother who was for a while dead to my eyes, who had for many years wept for me that I might live in thy eyes--let him not laugh at me; but if he be a man of generous love, let him weep for my sins against thee, the Father of all the brethren of thy Christ.
Sunday, October 10, 2010
Wednesday, October 6, 2010
Today is the feast day of St Bruno. Not only was he born in my favorite German city (Cologne) but he is also the founder of the great contemplative order, the Carthusians.
Several years ago and good friend and I went to see the film "Into Great Silence", which covers the life of the monks at the Grand Chartreuse, in France.
I have added a trailer of the film to the blog.